Car on Massachusetts freeway with Boston skyline.

What MA’s Minimum Requirements for Car Insurance Don’t Cover

After spending all that money on your new sedan, hatchback, SUV, or truck, insurance can feel like an afterthought, with many young drivers only meeting the minimum requirements. For some, this can be a rude awakening when coverage doesn’t extend as far as they expected – for others, they want to look past MA’s minimum requirements for car insurance to see what they are missing out on for their vehicle, family, and peace of mind. Let’s look the requirements and how to improve them with additional policies.

MA’s Minimum Requirements for Car Insurance

Every state (except New Hampshire) has minimum insurance requirements, with Massachusetts being middle-of-the-pack in terms of both types of insurance and minimum coverage limits. They are divided into four types of car insurance, each type with its own minimum limits:

  • Bodily Injury Liability Insurance: $20,000 per person; $40,000 per accident. This protects the driver from legal liability if someone is injured by the vehicle.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $8,000 per person, per accident. This covers medical expenses, lost wages (up to 75%), and replacement service. Massachusetts is a no-fault state which means no matter who causes the accident, the PIP will payout.
  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage: $20,000 per person; $40,000 per accident. This protects the driver from losses in an accident caused by an uninsured or unidentified (such as a hit-and-run) driver.
  • Property Damage Liability Insurance: $5,000 per accident. Pays for damage to another person’s property that is damaged by your vehicle when it is being operated.

For more information on MA’s Auto Insurance requirements, see the website.

Expanding Your Auto Insurance Coverage

So, now that we’ve covered the basics, what are the most often added insurance policies for a car? Below are the most common types along with why we recommend them to all drivers. They may also be required as “Full Coverage” when you lease vehicles.

Increasing Your Limits

The losses incurred by accidents are often much higher than the minimums, especially when it comes to personal injuries and damage to property. While it will vary in circumstances, starting at roughly twice the amount for bodily injury is a good place to start.

Getting Collision Insurance

Collision insurance covers you in an accident when you’re at fault, including vehicle-related accidents or striking a tree, guardrail, or other impacts. In Massachusetts, this applies regardless of fault – even in hit-and-run situations.

Getting Comprehensive Insurance

Comprehensive insurance pays for damage dealt to your car when it’s not a collision, including vandalism, theft, falling objects, larceny, or accidents including birds or animals, such as deer. It covers everything from broken glass to fire damage.

At the Safeside Insurance Agency, we pride ourselves on getting everyone the right insurance for the right price, whether you’re looking to get better coverage for your new vehicle or your next house. We’ve been doing it in Worcester County for the last 30 years. Want to see the difference an independent insurance agency can make? Contact us now or call us at (508) 753-8862.

Get a Quote


Safeside Insurance Agency

Office: (508) 753-8862
Fax: 508-797-3564

59 Green Street
Worcester, MA 01604

Business Hours
Mon - Thurs: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sat & Sun: Closed

©2024 Safeside Insurance, Inc.
Privacy PolicyTerms & Conditions

We’re here to help you find the gaps in your coverage, the best policies to fit your needs, and bundles that help you protect even more for less. Not sure where to get started? Contact us or start a quote!