Small Business Owner opening the door of their shop with an open sign.

A Guide to Small Business Insurance for MA

Whether you’re an entrepreneur working out of a spare room at home, a generational mom-and-pop shop, or a bustling 50+ workforce in rented commercial property, you need small business insurance. For over 30 years, we’ve been helping small businesses in Massachusetts match their unique companies with customized commercial insurance, meeting the required insurances in MA and full coverage for their specific situations and industries. See what we recommend below to get started!

Start with a Business Owner’s Policy

Whether you’re starting up a new business in New England or reviewing your current insurance policies, first and foremost should be your Business Owner’s Policy, or BOP. BOP insurance covers the two biggest risks to your company. On the one hand, you have General Liability Insurance, which protects your business from legal repercussions. On the other hand, you have Commercial Property Insurance, protecting your rented or owned business property and the assets within.

Get MA-Required Business Insurance

In Massachusetts, there are two types of required insurance for businesses: Workers Compensation insurance and, if you have business vehicles, Commercial Auto insurance.

Workers Compensation Insurance

MA state law requires all businesses to carry workers compensation insurance, regardless of the number of hours they work. Workers compensation covers medical costs and provides disability benefits for work-related injuries and illnesses.

Commercial Auto Insurance

If you have a vehicle you use for work, it needs commercial auto insurance. Minimums are similar to what is required for personal car insurance, but trucks may need additional coverage to comply with MA regulations. Check with an agent if any of your current vehicles need coverage.

Get Specialty Insurance for Your Situation

In addition to the standard insurance and required insurance, you may need additional policies to better protect your assets, staff, and liabilities. Here are three of the most common:

  • Product Liability Insurance: For retail-based companies, this provides legal protection if the products people purchase cause liabilities.
  • Professional Liability Insurance: Sometimes known as Errors & Omissions Insurance, this protects companies that provide services against performance-based liabilities.
  • Home-Based Business Insurance Riders: If you’re running a home-based business, you will need to amend your homeowners insurance with an insurance rider to extend commercial property coverage.

At Safeside Insurance, we’ve been helping small businesses of all sizes in Worcester County and the greater Massachusetts area for over 30 years. Whether you’re just starting or need better insurance coverage than your current policies provide, we’ll help you get the right insurance at the right price. We also have a wide area of personal insurance for home, car, renting, and more! Contact us today to talk to an agent or jump right to getting a quote!

Get a Quote


Safeside Insurance Agency

Office: (508) 753-8862
Fax: 508-797-3564

59 Green Street
Worcester, MA 01604

Business Hours
Mon - Thurs: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sat & Sun: Closed

©2024 Safeside Insurance, Inc.
Privacy PolicyTerms & Conditions

We’re here to help you find the gaps in your coverage, the best policies to fit your needs, and bundles that help you protect even more for less. Not sure where to get started? Contact us or start a quote!