RV set up in wood for camping.

What RV Insurance Do I Need When Camping?

Whether you’ve just bought your first recreational vehicle or you’re an old hat at RVs, when you take your motorhome out into the great outdoors to live in, you effectively have a home and car in one! And it needs to be insured like one. Learn more about how the different kinds of RV insurance interact with each other, your vehicle, and the possible scenarios you’ll need coverage for when you set up your motorhome or similar vehicle or trailer when camping.

What Standard RV Insurance Covers

In many ways, a standard RV insurance policy looks a lot like coverage for a personal car, though many pull double-duty to protect the vehicle when stationary. A typical policy includes:

  • Collision & Comprehensive Insurance: While optional on most standard vehicles, most RV insurance includes collision and comprehensive insurance to cover costs if you’re involved in an accident, including non-collision events like wildlife, theft, and fire.
  • Liability Insurance: Both bodily injury and property damage liability are required for vehicles on the road. To learn more about the coverage you need in MA, check out our blog, What MA’s Minimum Requirements for Car Insurance Don’t Cover.
  • Uninsured (and Underinsured) Motorist Coverage: Another required coverage (see link above for minimum coverage in MA), this protects the driver from losses in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or unidentified (such as a hit-and-run) driver.
  • Medical Payments Coverage: Also known as Personal Injury Protection, this covers medical expenses, lost wages, and replacement service. Massachusetts is a no-fault state which means no matter who causes the accident, the policy pays out.

Additional Insurance Coverage for Camping

So, beyond the basics for RV coverage, what can help provide better coverage when you’re traveling in your motorhome?

  • Vacation Liability Insurance: If an accident occurs while the RV is being used as a vacation site, this pays for bodily injury and property damage losses that occur on your premise.
  • Total Loss Replacement Insurance: If your RV is damaged beyond repair, this policy kicks in to replace the RV with a new comparable one. As the RV ages, this becomes actual cash value.
  • Full-Time RV Insurance: Do you spend more than six months of the year in your RV? You’ll want full-time insurance which strengthens the liability and medical coverage.

It’s important to note there are even more types of policies and coverage for your RV, the possessions within, and all associated liability. To learn more and to tailor your RV insurance to your specific needs,  the Safeside Insurance Agency. We can help you find the right insurance for the right price, including better policies from a wide array of insurance carriers and insurance bundling.

Get a Quote


Safeside Insurance Agency

Office: (508) 753-8862
Fax: 508-797-3564
Email: info@safesideagency.com

59 Green Street
Worcester, MA 01604

Business Hours
Mon - Thurs: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Sat & Sun: Closed

©2024 Safeside Insurance, Inc.
Privacy PolicyTerms & Conditions

We’re here to help you find the gaps in your coverage, the best policies to fit your needs, and bundles that help you protect even more for less. Not sure where to get started? Contact us or start a quote!